Friday, January 05, 2007

I'm free

And freedom tastes of reality

This is it - the last day of a 17 and 1/2 year run with my company. I don't need to say who they are - those of you who know me know quite well who they are. This company gave me an opportunity to get a foot in the door with a company at a time in my life - July of 1989 - when I was desperate for a job and quite ready to toss in the towel and maybe even be forced to move back home with my parents if I did not land one quickly. With this company I was able to remain in San Diego, support myself which in itself led me to the romantic relationships that started shortly after landing the job. I was told when I first walked in the door that I looked terribly frightened and shy - which is an essential aspect of who I am - but in being forced to get on the phone and talk to people, I gradually became more outgoing and confident to a certain degree. The job gave me the ability to see my countless Grateful Dead concerts - over 100 of them happened when I worked there. I also got perks like tickets to the Padres and Chargers which made me a sports fan all over again at a time when I had drifted away from sports - and as being a sports fan is such an essential aspect of being part of a huge phenomenon in this country, I think that also paved the way for more friends and relationships. Finally, this company was willing to invest in moving me out to Northern Nevada in April of 2001, which turned out to be perfect timing in us landing our first and only home we have ever owned, and when I see the moon coming over the mountains or the rays of sunshine bursting through in the morning, some times I can't believe I live in such an incredible natural setting for a home. Driving around Northern Nevada has also been very insping and uplifting, and a paid for tour of the Sierras and some incredible landscapes is not something anyone could really complain about.

So - I may have dwelled on some of the negative aspects of my job lately, but I do want to make it clear - it has not all been bad. Unfortunately though, it has become very clear to me over the last 2 years especially that this was not going to be the company I retired with, a dream that I may have had initially. I like stability and consistency - maybe that is part of my "Virgo" personality. Yet - knowing now that there is life outside of where I work, that there is more of an economic benefit to going elsewhere, and maybe even more of an emotional one on top of that, I am now testing the waters in where my latest fate and karma has now brought me. No guarantees I know and when I hear the words meet the new boss same as the old boss it serves as a kind of friendly warning to me that I can't expect a new setting is going to be the answer to all of my problems. At the same time - all the signs are right this time that lead me to believe that this is very promising. I had a great feeling from my manager who interviewed me - it was the most relaxed job interview I have ever had - and he did a great job of putting me at ease and acting like it was a one on one chat instead of a condescending interview. Another guy who works in my field, formerly with another company similar to mine, now works there and took the time to welcome me aboard with a phone message, and he is also someone I like and respect. So - although I am expecting to dig my heels into the trenches and put in the work and effort that got me through almost 18 years with what may be the most demanding company in the industry, I also know that it is going to be a better situation, just like my original job was a cut above working at JC Penney, my first employer out of college.

So today - waking up and knowing that this is in fact the last day, a day when I merely head down to the street and go through a few explanations with the guy who for the time being is replacing me - well - I have to admit - it is a pretty good feeling. I have been counting down the days of my last month here ever since the beginning of December, and now the day is finally here!

Well - on a technical note - after day for those countless people out there righting to me, my computer access is going to be hit and miss - so - I may not get anything you send me right away as of today.

If you wanna get thru the years
It's high time you played your card
If you live in this world
You're feelin' the change of the guard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link