Thursday, September 07, 2006

Song for Heather - wherever she is..

this is an audio post - click to play


From my 11th floor room at the Palace Station with a partial view of the Las Vegas strip at night after stuffing myself at the downstairs buffet, I decided to play this song I once composed around this time in 1991. Heather was a woman I worked with and had an incredible crush on 15 years ago - and as most things like that go, the experience was mostly in my mind. Unfortunately expressing my feelings in writing did not go over too well and I was lucky not to lose my job when she reported me, but it was still a very rich experience as far as exploration of the vast worlds of unconsciousness go. This all happened about 15 years ago, but in many ways it seems like yesterday and the experience still lives on:

You can smile at me, make my heart sing so high
You can look at me with a sparkle in your eye
But when I reach for you, you'll pull away and I don't know why

You can make me think of you, you won't be thinking of me
You can be exactly what I want you to be
But when it's said and done now, you know you won't be there for me

All you can do is let me down in the end
You can't give me real love, all you can do is pretend
You can lie to me with your eyes, but you know you cannot ever be my friend

You can play a game, you play it oh so well
You can weave a web, trap me in your spell
When it's all said and done, we're just victims of our very own hell

It must be nice to be as powerful as you
To stand in the power of your sparkling red shoes
There's no power left for me, there's nothing at all that I can do

You can lead me on (I fudged the words and said "play the game")
I'm a marioneette strung
You can say it will start
You can even say that it's done
You know I can't do anything - by my feet I am helplessly hung

(a little guitar solo finishes it off)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link