Monday, February 13, 2006

Every fear i swallow makes me small

(Peter Gabriel - Darkness)

I was brave enough to actually run the program to post a few pictures as it did not agree with my last computer, but as soon as I posted them, I un-installed it to hopefully prevent any future problems. Because I have to install the program each time, I will not be posting pictures so much. As you can see at the bottom, our house no longer looks like and unidentified flying object, and looks more like a normal house. We took the drive to Wilson Canyon south of Yerington yesterday, an all day trip covering over 100 miles. Now that Chicago appears to be out, Victoria wants to move to Yerington instead (whatever). But anyways, pictures don't really do it justice, but it feels like the entire earth opens up at one point with the mountains surrounding on two sides - and it is quite an amazing place.

There is one spot where the only way to cross Walker River is on an old rusty metal bridge. It is not exactly inviting and a little intimidating, but as long as you hold the rail and try not to think too much about the sharp rocks underneath you that you would fall into, it is somewhat safe. Sara took one step on it behind me and said it felt like Shrek, and she went running away crying, but then she saw me go across and realized she could do it too. After that, she was fearlessly climbing the rock slopes - she has turned into quite the adventurer. Well, after going back and forth, she decided she wanted Mama to come with her. I did not think Mama would be up for it, but somehow she made it across. Because the bridge has open metal grating, the kind like you see at a cattle divide in the road, my dog would not come anywhere near it. So Victoria made it all the way across, but once she got to the final step, at that point she was paralyzed with fear. You have to take a step up onto a rock, and Victoria already blew out her ankle while walking Amit in San Diego the year before Sara came along, and that one final step seemed too much. I shouted out to ask if she was okay, and she nodded her head no - so I told her I had to walk the dog all the way back to the car before I could walk across and assist her. So I was starting to take that long walk back, when Sara of all people stumbled down the embankment to assist her. 7 year old Sara came down, guided her, and assured her it was okay to take the step behind her back onto the bridge - and essentially rescued her from her state of paralyzing fear and allowed her to walk back safely across the bridge.

I kicked myself for not getting a picture of it, but not only was I a little concerned as well, I also could not believe it was happening either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link